This is a two-year advanced program for economics graduates by the Best University in Multan. It consists of four semesters with a total of 30 credit hours. The students will have to complete course work of 24 credit hours in the first two semesters and then write a dissertation on any economic issue in the next two semesters. The dissertation is of 6 credit hours. However, the student may opt for two courses in lieu of research work. He will also have to qualify comprehensive exam as well. Every subject has 100 marks, and the distribution of 100 marks are Mid-Term exam= 25 marks, Final term Exam=50 marks, Attendance= 10 marks, and sessional marks = 15. Every student will have to get at least 80 percent attendance in every subject. If they are failed to secure 80 percent attendance, they will not be allowed to appear in the terminal exam of that subject. Thus, punctuality in the class, submission of assignments, joining quizzes, and making presentations are a must for securing full sessional marks.
There are tremendous opportunities for the students of M.Phil. Economics in Pakistan and abroad as this degree is equivalent to 18 years of education:
- He can join the Department of Economics at any University and College in Pakistan as a teacher.
- He can join the State Bank of Pakistan, World Bank, IMF, Asian Development Bank, and Islamic Development Bank as an economist.
- He can join the Planning Division/Department of the Government of Pakistan and Provincial Governments
- He can start their career as an independent consultant to provide consultancy Services.
- He is fully capable of conducting research on any socio-economic issue.
- He will be capable of writing research reports and research papers.
- He can join any NGOs working on socio-economic issues/data gathering and preparing research reports.
- Sixteen years of schooling or 4 year education in relevant filed from HEC recognized DAI will be required for admission.
- The GAT-General (CAT-B)(www.nts.org.pk/gat/gat.asp) / ISP-Admit Test conducted by the National Testing Service with a minimum 50% cumulative score will be required at the time of admission.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
To study advanced economic theories and modeling techniques.
To study advanced econometrics and building econometric models.
To learn the use of econometric models to solve economic problems.
To learn advanced research methods and their application for economic analysis.
To learn the writing of research papers, term papers, and book reviews.
To learn the history of major economic crises in different parts of the world.
To understand major economic issues of Pakistan.
Programs Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
To understand all national and world economic issues.
To have the capability to present solutions to local economic problems.
To carry out research on any economic issues.
To write research reports/research papers on any economic topic
To develop an econometric model and conduct empirical analysis.
To understand the causes and effects of different economic issues of Pakistan.
To understand the positive and negative effects of Globalization.
To have sufficient knowledge about the world trade organization (WTO) and Regional Trade Agreements.
The Scheme of The Study M.Phil Economics Program
Total Credit Hours = 30*
Research Thesis/ Two Courses
*The student has given choice either to opt research dissertation or study two extra courses after completing 24 credit hours. Each course of 3 credit hours is equal to 100 marks while dissertation has 6 credit hours and 200 marks.